Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Canning Season!

On Friday I did the basic house work, load of laundry, tidied up the kitchen, and decided to leave everything else and get my peaches done. Luckily they were totally green when I bought them a week ago. Mia and I packed up all of the canning supplies and went to Grandma T's. She had already done some of hers and my few didn't take very long. Marcus had eatten a half of a box with his peaches and cream cravings (actually 2% tastes a lot like cream after skim!, still watching that cholesterol!)

I also experimented with fresh peach pie. I had a few bummer moments, but the final product was tasty! First tip: use a bigger pan or take it off of the heat while adding the peach jello and cornstarch! Mom hates a dirty cooktop! Yes I cleaned it up! Second tip: measure the peaches... looks like enough dosn't always work! I made four pies to share around.

Mom reminded me about back in the day when she would do 18 bushel of fruit! Ya sounds crazy! Luckily our day was not so labor intense. Thanks to Grandma our few (14 bottles) look wonderful!

That night I made a yummy tortilla chicken soup (brothy, lots of garlic and lime, just what I like!) It was a good end to a work filled day! I LOVE FALL!

No comments: